We’ve been big fans of the 3DConnexion SpaceNavigator for a long time. Frank first told us about it nearly seven years ago, and no other device has been able to match the quality and usefulness of it — until now.
Released today, the new SpaceMouse Wireless is the next evolution for 3DConnexion. The new SpaceMouse can last roughly a month between charges, and remains fully functional while recharging via USB. The wireless is handled via 2.4Ghz connection, similar to standard wireless mice and other devices.
Beyond that, thankfully, it remains very similar to the existing model with it’s familiar “six-degrees-of-freedom” controls that make using Google Earth a breeze.
The SpaceMouse Wireless will retail for $129 and is available today from professional CAD resellers and major online resellers. You can learn more by visiting their website or reading their press release below.
Waltham, MA, October 1 2013 — 3Dconnexion®, the global leader in advanced 3D navigation devices, is proud to announce SpaceMouse® Wireless, the world’s first wireless 3D mouse.
3Dconnexion 3D mice enable engineers, designers and architects at the world’s leading companies to deliver better designs in less time, by providing a more natural and comfortable way to interact with digital 3D content.
Now, for the first time, SpaceMouse Wireless combines 3Dconnexion’s 6-degrees-of-freedom (6DoF) sensor with 3Dconnexion 2.4 GHz wireless technology to deliver the reliability of a wired device, without the clutter of cords.
The SpaceMouse Wireless has a battery life of up to 1 month1 and when it does need recharging, the supplied micro-USB cable handles data and charging at the same time so users simply connect and continue working.
“We are excited to introduce SpaceMouse Wireless, the world’s first wireless 3D mouse,” said Antonio Pascucci, vice president of products at 3Dconnexion. “It’s designed to meet the evolving needs of 3D software users by combining 3Dconnexion’s superior 3D navigation experience with optimized 2.4GHz wireless technology for a real-time connection to digital 3D content and a clutter-free desktop.”
Like other 3Dconnexion products, SpaceMouse Wireless allows users to smoothly position 3D content or camera views while simultaneously using the standard mouse as a pointing device to select, create and edit. The end result is a more rewarding 3D experience, proven productivity gains and a reduction in repetitive strain injuries caused by repeatedly clicking and moving a standard mouse.
The 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse Wireless offers 3D software users the following benefits:
- Six-degrees-of-freedom (6DoF) navigation. Gently manipulate the SpaceMouse Wireless’ controller cap to simultaneously pan, zoom and rotate digital models or camera views for a smooth, intuitive 3D experience.
- 3Dconnexion 2.4GHz wireless technology. The SpaceMouse Wireless communicates with your computer via a micro-USB receiver (included) ensuring a discreet and reliable connection to your 3D content.
- One month of design on a single charge. The SpaceMouse Wireless’ lithium-ion polymer battery lasts up to a month connect the micro-USB cable (included) and continue working without interruption.
- Ease of use. Each of the SpaceMouse Wireless’ two conveniently positioned buttons open their own on-screen radial menu for mouse click access to application commands.
- Modern design. The SpaceMouse Wireless sports a small footprint, high-quality construction and a stylish brushed steel base.
Pricing and Availability
SpaceMouse Wireless has a suggested retail price of $129 and is available immediately from professional CAD resellers and major online resellers.
- 3Dconnexion six-degrees-of-freedom (6DoF) sensor
- 3Dconnexion 2.4GHz wireless technology
- Lithium-ion polymer battery
- Micro-USB connectivity (USB receiver and recharging cable supplied)
- Simultaneous data and recharging
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 78 x 78 x 54mm / 3.1 x 3.1 x 2.1 in.
- Weight: 424g / 0.96 lbs.
- 2-year warranty
Supported Operating Systems
- Microsoft Windows 8 and 8.1 x86 and x64 (all editions; RTM)
- Microsoft Windows 7 (all editions; RTM and SP1)
- Windows Vista x86 and x64 (all editions; RTM, SP1 and SP2)
- Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (SP1, SP2)
- Windows XP Professional (SP2, SP3)
- Mac OS X 10.6 to v. 10.8