New Google Earth Imagery – June 8th, 2015

Google have updated their ‘Latest Google Earth Imagery Updates’ map. To view it in Google Earth use this KML file. The last time they updated this particular map was for the April 24th update. There have, of course, been plenty of actual updates in between as can be seen from the monthly update map for May. For more on Google’s Imagery Updates maps and what they mean see this post.

The most obvious feature in this update is strips of imagery in northern India and southern Tibet surrounding Nepal. Both regions were affected by the Nepal earthquake in April. Google already added plenty of Nepal imagery after the Earthquake and again in May after a major aftershock. However, this newly added imagery is mostly old imagery from before the earthquake, presumably added to assist aid workers in those regions.

Latest Google Earth Imagery map –  June 8th, 2015
Latest Google Earth Imagery map – June 8th, 2015. Larger version.

The imagery has not yet made it into ‘historical imagery’ and some patches are not in the default layer, so we can’t view them yet. This is often an indication that there is something of interest in the imagery. One such image is of Cisco, Texas where there was a tornado in May. We will keep an eye on the location as it typically takes a week or so for new imagery to be added to ‘historical imagery’.

Google’s quality checks failed for this patch of imagery north of São Paul, Brazil. Find it with this KML file. We are not sure what caused the strange patterns, but Google shouldn’t have included this image, at least not in the default layer. It is also visible in Google Maps.

About Timothy Whitehead

Timothy has been using Google Earth since 2004 when it was still called Keyhole before it was renamed Google Earth in 2005 and has been a huge fan ever since. He is a programmer working for Red Wing Aerobatx and lives in Cape Town, South Africa.

PLEASE NOTE: Google Earth Blog is no longer writing regular posts. As a result, we are not accepting new comments or questions about Google Earth. If you have a question, use the official Google Earth and Maps Forums or the Google Earth Community Forums.

Comments

1. Lucky de Silva says:

Hi
    The save to my places does not work on the search results on GE. Neither does copy as KML.
    This is really useful to create a dataset based on search results from GE.

• Timothy Whitehead says:

Use button below the search results rather than the option on the ‘right click’ menu.

2. Dave Boyd says:

I had and used Google Earth until recently when it disappeared off my computer and it will not install now. I am running Windows 7. Did GE update or is a recent Windows update to blame?

3. Hi Timothy,
    I’m trying to get my hands on some imagery over Arizona, US. The imagery is very high resolution and credited to Google (I did not know they acquired their own aerial imagery…) Is there any way you know of to access this imagery outside of Google Earth?

4. Ive looked for my gfs address on google earth and it doesnt show her house yet i no its there as im been there

5. The KML file above, when I hover my cursor over it, says that it’s a .KML file, but, when I go to download it, it says that it’s an _KML file. Do I have to do something to it before I can actually use the file? It won’t open otherwise.

• Timothy Whitehead says:

I was based on Google Maps Engine which has been shut down https://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2016/02/google-maps-engine-tracks-coming-end.html

• So, if I understand you correctly and after having read the blog you linked in your reply, the imagery that was there last Friday has been taken down reverting back to an earlier image, in my case, April, 2013, and what’s there will be, effectively, frozen in time?

• Timothy Whitehead says:

The imagery in Google Earth has not changed and Google continues to add new imagery to Google Earth on a regular basis the most recent one being in January 2016. The map that was linked to did not contain imagery but had outlines showing what imagery had been changed. The map of outlines is no-longer available. The above post does show a screenshot of the map but there was no way to save it as a KML so we have no other record.

6. Which app do i use to view my house on past month day and year. A friend showed it to me and he was watching a time lapse map of his house for past years.

• Timothy Whitehead says:

For satellite / aerial imagery use ‘historical imagery’. Instructions can be found in this post.
      For Street View, use the Google Maps version and look for a clock symbol next to the data below the address at the top left.