New Version of Google Earth 7.1.5.1557

[Update 2: It appears that this release is necessary for viewing Google Maps Gallery maps including public maps that do not normally require a sign in. However, public Google Maps Engine maps such as the Monthly Imagery Updates map appear to still work. In addition, Google Maps Engine maps have been removed from the Google Maps Gallery and there is a message saying they are no-longer supported by the Gallery]

[Update 1: Apparently this release is necessary for viewing maps from Google Maps Engine in Google Earth after May 29, 2015. This probably only applies to private maps that require you to log-in to Google Earth and not to public maps.]

Thank you to GEB reader ‘A.C.’ for alerting us to the fact that Google has released a new minor version of Google Earth. This release comes just under a month after the previous update, which was the first update in nearly two years.

This update actually has some release notes that tell us what has been changed:

• The Google account sign-in process was updated from OAuth 1.0 to OAuth 2.0, given the deprecation of Oauth 1.0. Users of all previous versions of Earth will not be able to sign-in with their Google accounts after May 30th, 2015.
  • Fixes issues with the auto-update process on Mac OS X.

The sign-in process mentioned is not the licence sign-in currently required in Google Earth Pro, but rather the sign-in option found at the far right of the tool bar that allows you to sign-in with a Google account. Signing in with a Google account makes it easy to share a screen shot to Google+, send an Email with an image, View, or Placemark, or post to the Google Earth Community forum. The latter probably no-longer works anyway, as the Google Earth Community recently moved. In our case the option is greyed out, probably because the Google Account we tested with is not a member of the old Google Earth Community. The link to the Google Earth Community found in the Help menu still points to the old community website.

If you do use the above feature, or have had problems with Google Earth updates on Mac OS X, then you may want to manually update to this new version. Otherwise, don’t bother and just let Google’s auto-update process update your Google Earth on their schedule. Having said that, we have a laptop which has not yet auto-updated to the 7.1.4 version released last month.

If you do wish to manually update you can try downloading from Google’s usual download site. Keep in mind that Google rolls out updates over a period of several weeks so not everybody will get the latest version from that site immediately.

In addition, here are some direct download links specifically for the 7.1.5 release:
Windows Earth+Plugin
Windows Earth Pro
Mac Earth+Plugin
Mac Earth
Mac Earth Pro

About Timothy Whitehead

Timothy has been using Google Earth since 2004 when it was still called Keyhole before it was renamed Google Earth in 2005 and has been a huge fan ever since. He is a programmer working for Red Wing Aerobatx and lives in Cape Town, South Africa.

PLEASE NOTE: Google Earth Blog is no longer writing regular posts. As a result, we are not accepting new comments or questions about Google Earth. If you have a question, use the official Google Earth and Maps Forums or the Google Earth Community Forums.

Comments

1. Call me when they add something major, like maybe adding volumetric clouds, night lighting, time lapse, or a change in the 3D algorithm that would automatically generate 3D imagery from Street View

2. I already prepared for Google’s announcement to abandon GE but this gives me hope

3. Download link not working…

4. Thanks for fixing the download link, but I am still unable to update my GEPro Mac v from 7.1.2. It will install and update for the non-pro version, but will NOT update the pro version.

• Timothy Whitehead says:

I have added some direct download links to the post. Let us know if they do not solve your problem.

5. I just could download it yesterday (May 26th) here in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

6. Dr. C.M.Karrunakaran says:

The Download link doesn’t work!

7. Dr. C.M.Karrunakaran says:
    • Timothy Whitehead says:

The link is working for me. Are you saying it doesn’t download, or that what it downloads doesn’t install properly?

8. Andrew Rossmann says:

Still doesn’t fix a ‘black hole’ in Chicago.
    41°46’22.58″N 87°33’49.20″W

May depend on version and OS. Visible with Windows 7 and DirectX, use high quality terrain and 3D Imagery enabled. Looks normal with 3D imagery disabled.

9. Still doesn’t work google earth pro new version download link…
    Hey, Google teams… please, fix it….

10. The links on the page https://support.google.com/earth/answer/168344?hl=en or any other link for Google Earth Pro gives me a 404 Error so I’m forced to download the older version from this link http://dl.google.com/dl/earth/client/advanced/current/googleearthprowin.exe the only link that seems to be working for me.

11. Robert Curtis says:

I am unable to download a version from any link that loads Google Earth Pro so that I can sign in and inter the GEPFREE license code. I am running the latest version of OS X and have been downloading the MAC version, from the Google sites and from this discussion board. Help… We have lost all functionality of Google Earth Pro (paid version) and use it

12. Sreedhar V says:

https://dl.google.com/dl/earth/client/GE7/release_7_1_5/GoogleEarth-Pro-Intel-7.1.5.1557.dmg This link is repeatedly giving a 404 error. And is not working. Perhaps something to do with the proxies of particular regions?

• Timothy Whitehead says:

It is working for me. I do not know if there are still restrictions on export to particular countries. Which country are you trying it from?

13. Tomasz Dedek says:

Is there version higher than 7.1.4.1529 of google earth for linux mint 17.3 x64? I can’t login into this program…

14. On my Macbook, Google Earth keeps reinstalling the latest version every week! It always says update successful, but comes back to install it again regularly. what a pain

15. I was having problems with GE resolution on Mac OSx 10.6.8 so installed GE version 7.1.5. All my placemarks have gone and I can’t find myplaces.kml. Is all this data now overwritten and lost?

• Found the file at last and can access placemarks. Not in hard drive> Library, but in Places> Library>Application Support. Unable to open new version and backup together, so saving screen grabs as extra backup just to be safe.

16. Hi,
    I am Shridhar Jawak from India. I am able to download the GE, and installed it as well! However, I am unable to download GR Pro. Download is getting failed. I am trying for downloading GE Pro since a week. Kindly help me to download GE Pro. Thank you, Shridhar