It’s been a little while since the last update, but it appears that Google Earth has pushed out some fresh imagery! Thanks to GEB reader ‘Andreas’ for letting us know about it.
Due to the new “Pretty Earth” imagery, it’s more difficult to spot fresh imagery. Also, in the time since we first spotted this new imagery it’s also arrived in Google Maps, which makes it even more difficult to determine what is new and what is old. Despite that, we’ve found quite a few areas that have been updated and here is the list so far:
[UPDATED — 5-March, 7:39am EST]
- Italy: Catania — thanks ‘Munden’
- Malta: Valetta — thanks ‘Munden’
- New Zealand: Otorohanga — thanks ‘Munden’
- Poland: Gdansk, Gdynia, Hel, Poznan, Warsaw — thanks ‘Munden’
- Serbia: Belgrade — thanks ‘Munden’
- Russia: Arkhangelsk, Monino, Murmansk — thanks ‘Munden’
- Slovenia: Ljubljana — thanks ‘Munden’
- Ukraine: Kurpaty — thanks ‘Munden’
- United States: California (Beales AFB, Linda, Palmdale, Rosamond, Yuba City), Florida (Apalachicola, Daytona Beach, Gainesville, Jacksonville, Kissimmee, Panama City, Pensacola), Georgia (Valdosta), Illinois (Findlay, Galesburg, Neoga, Taylorville), Louisiana (New Orleans), Mississippi (Jacksonville), South Carolina (Charleston, Hartsville, Lancaster), Texas (Beaumont, Corpus Christi, Freeport, Galveston, Texas City), Utah (Halchita, Mexican Hat, Zion National Park) — thanks ‘Andreas’ and ‘Munden’
If you know of any others, please leave a comment and let us know. Thanks!
About Mickey Mellen
Mickey has been using Google Earth since it was released in 2005, and has created a variety of geo-related sites including Google Earth Hacks. He runs a web design firm in Marietta, GA, where he lives with his wife and two kids.
and Wroclaw in Poland.
Gjirokastër, Albania (9/2/2011).
Dumfries, UK (at last)
Buff A. Lo. says
New imagery for Buffalo, NY and a lot of the surrounding countryside. The images were taken on 10 May 2011, and were just added today.
Good to see reasonable high res imagery in Dumfries and around in Scotland (and not the nearby poor quality imagery of the last update ) which just about makes up the mosaic for Scotland after the long wait since GE was launched.
Let’s hope now that Donegal in NW Ireland can come out from under the clouds, and that missing slivers in Scotland can be fixed.
Too late … the 4 March KMZ has arrived in record time – all looks pretty good this time, and several more areas in Scotland show as updates.
Edwards AFB,California City
Jacksn,Ohio has new imagery too.
That sure is some good looking imagery in those mountains.
Andreas Möller says
Andreas Möller says
The KMZ includes also some areas from the previous update from february. …
Romania: Sovata and surroundings
@Adreas Moller – I had also noticed when checking areas outlined in red by the KMZ that some showed no change, other than colour modification, from the most recent historical imagery. So wondered whether updates now included image modification and/or the historic imagery was still to be changed, in addition to any catch up from earlier updates.
Ryan K says
Parts of Istanbul
North Shropshire, England
Where is the KML file? I can’t find it?!?!?
@ creed – you should find the KML/KMZ file in the GE Gallery (first item, top left) here
and you should be able to get the update automatically in ‘my places’.
The ‘Gallery’ pages may have been moved recently within the GE pages, but with Google how would you know 🙂
Bermuda, all 21 square miles.