[UPDATE: Google has released details on the imagery update. Read the details here.]
Google has quietly slipped out a new imagery update today. [UPDATE: Google has made an announcement with a guessing game again.] Google’s gift to some of us for the holidays. First reported to me by the guys at KugelErde.de. They found several cities:
- Germany: Leipzig, Augsburg, Aachen
- France: Le Havre, Nantes, Lyon
- Salzburk, Austria
- Warsaw, Poland
- Saint Louis, MO
- Austin, Tx
- Japan: Tokyo, Nagoya – There is some nice aerial imagery in Tokyo with less than 10 cm resolution!
- Sydney, Australia
But, there are many locations all over the world – some really large ones (like Antarctica) – Check out the comments below.
Gerardo Paz and I just spent some time and we found some other sites with new high resolution imagery:
Antarctica now has new broad imagery from the Landsat Image Mosaic of Antarctica Project
- San Carlos de Bariloche, Argentina – a favorite place of Gerardo’s is there
- The island of Montserrat – including the new volcano is now in high res. And the terrain is updated to show the new volcano’s terrain
- The Ile des Saintes, Guadaloupe are now in high res
- Canoun and Tobago Cays, in the Grenadines are updated
- Dominica is entirely high res now
- Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think the western part of Virginia was all high res before…?
Someone in the comments below pointed out some new imagery on the north island of New Zealand. Interestingly, this imagery is aerial photography from something called “Image Horizons Regional Consortium”. Some of the imagery is about the same resolution as satellite photography – but, there is also some really nice 10 – 20 cm resolution imagery in places as well.
Oh, and the Google Headquarters has been updated as well – you can see the solar panels.
I will update this post with more details when they are forthcoming. Please add your comments below if you find other locations.