[Updated: 9-Sep 1550 ET – The scope of this update appears to be very widespread – this list is growing! Also, all the data is now in Google Earth as well! Also, new version of Google Earth 4 Beta is out.]
[Updated: 13-Sep 1500 ET – Also, see details on the new Updated Google Earth Layers]
Just discovered that there has been an update to aerial and satellite photos in Google Maps. So far, I have determined there is new photography for many areas in California and Texas (Now also areas found in NH, CT, NC, GA, NY, FL, WA, OR, entire state of Montana, Coastline of Maine, the Netherlands, Belgium, Japan, Norway, New Zealand, Canada). I’m still researching areas that have been affected. Please leave me a comment to this blog entry if you find other locations and I will update them here. So far, the new data has not been migrated to the Google Earth database. So, you can use GE as a comparison tool to determine what has been updated. I expect the Google Earth database will be updated in a few days. (See also GoogleMapsMania follow-up on this story).
Summary of updated data now available in high resolution :
- Most of California is now in high res. All of California appears to be high res actually. Thanks to GEB reader Jason.
- “Kerman, Ca”
- Coastal San Diego – thanks to Digg commenter i440
Many updates in Texas, but still some remote areas not covered. A lot of east Texas is now high resolution.
- Example: “San Augustine, Tx”
- Follow along I-10 in West Texas…lots of new areas there.
- Areas in North Carolina:
- Wilmington, NC – new data noticeable along the beach
- Charlotte, NC
- Looks like the entire state of Connecticut is in high res now:
- Big areas in southeast New Hampshire including:
- Florida – Some reports north and east of Orlando, I can confirm along the coast near Daytona as well. Now also up along to St. Augustine. Another report of NW FL. Lots of areas for Florida.
- The rest of the Netherlands now in high res (thanks to GEB readers: Daan and Alex) – Except some military bases are now “speckled” so you can’t see them.
- Georgia – (thanks to GEB reader Mickey) – Looks to me like the entire state has some form of high-res photos now
- The coastline of Maine all new high resolution areas all along the coast from the southeastern tip to Bangor, Maine – (thanks to GEB reader joe)
- Looks like the ENTIRE state of Montana – (Thanks to GEB reader etlund)
- Glacial National Park – very nice scenery. I can’t wait to see this in GE!
- Big areas in Belgium have been added or updated: – (thanks to GEB reader Maarten)
- One report so far for Japan: (thanks to GEB reader: Ataka)
- Takamatsu, Japan – new high-res of this metropolitan area
- Also Nara, Chofu, machida – thanks to GEB reader akanemaru
- Norway now has Bergen, Norway and the area surrounding – (thanks to GEB reader Szabolcs)
- Auckland, New Zealand area has new improved photos – (thanks to GEB reader Rob) – Note: other areas in NZ being reported including Wellington, and Whakatane
- Report of a new high res photo for Sarnia, Ontario, Canada – Thanks to reader BvO
- Unconfirmed reports for Memphis, TN; Aspen, CO.
- Several reports for Hudson Valley area of New York
- Washington State – County of Clark in SW WA updated – thanks to GEB reader Jesse
- Oregon – Same update from WA also includes Portland, OR
- Thailand – One report of some changes in Bangkok including an older photo of one area – thanks to GEB reader Steve