Google Earth automatically generated 3D areas

Thanks to GEB reader ‘ehog’ for letting us know that Győr, Hungary got the new 3D mesh recently.

Google first announced their method of generating 3D via stereophotogrammetry from aerial imagery in June 2012. As part of the announcement Google said that they expected this new technology to cover “communities of over 300 million people” by the end of the year. A year later, in July 2013, they were doing quite well and we counted around 150 cities with the new imagery. Progress continued, and in August 2013 Google announced that from October of that year they would no longer be pulling models from the Trimble 3D Warehouse as they wished to focus on more scalable methods.

This year we have covered the release of 3D imagery for Tokyo, and other Japanese cities, Christchurch, New Zealand, and London.

However, there has been no easy way to find the new automatically generated 3D areas that Google is adding to Google Earth. Google has not, as far as I am aware, ever released a KML with the locations as it often does for new satellite imagery.

Google has a list that can be found here. However, it is far from complete and even has some incorrect entries such as Forli, Italy which does not have the new imagery. It doesn’t even have some well known locations such as London, UK, which do have the new imagery.

The Wikipedia page for Google Earth also has a list of the new 3D areas, although it relies on helpful people noticing new areas and updating the list, and it, too, is not completely accurate. It does not, at the time of writing, include Győr, Hungary, and does not have all the entries from the Google list, such as Olbia, Italy, for example.

3D Mesh Map

So, we decided to create a KML file combining all the locations from the Wikipedia page, and the list from Google, and a couple of extras that aren’t in either list. And here it is!

We have included locations as given in the two lists, as well as the regions covered by 3D. We have made the KML a network link so that we can continually update it as we discover new areas.

Note that we have not included places that have the older type of automatically generated buildings that load as individual buildings. The newer method loads as a single mesh covering a whole area. Also note that the older type of 3D model does not display in ‘Earth Mode’ in the new Google Maps.

The best coverage is in California, and the worst is in Africa and Asia. Alaska is, I think, the only US state with no locations covered, but with its largest community, Anchorage, having an estimated 298,610 residents in 2012, maybe it didn’t quite make the cut.

If you know of any places not in the KML, please let us know in the comments below.

About Timothy Whitehead

Timothy has been using Google Earth since 2004 when it was still called Keyhole before it was renamed Google Earth in 2005 and has been a huge fan ever since. He is a programmer working for Red Wing Aerobatx and lives in Cape Town, South Africa.

Comments

1. Nothing happens when I click on the link for the KML file.

2. José Gonçalves says:

You should add Lisbon in Portugal

• Timothy Whitehead says:

Lisbon uses the older style which has individual models for each building. I have not included areas like that in my map.

3. The suburbs of Ioannina city in Greece! Unfortunatelly not the city itself.

• Timothy Whitehead says:

Thank you, a new country!
      I have added it to the map, right click on the network link and select ‘refresh’ to see updates.

4. Add Oshkosh, Appleton, and the rest of the “Fox Cities” in Wisconsin. Still no Milwaukee or Green Bay.

5. Szombathely, Győr, In Hungary are missing.

• Timothy Whitehead says:

Thank you, I don’t know how I forgot Győr, after mentioning it in my post!
      I have added both to the map, right click on the network link and select ‘refresh’ to see updates.

6. Hinesville, GA (USA :)

7. …and Cuiabá, Brazil (staduim area only)

8. I wonder why Google avoids capital cities and important tourist places like: Prague, Berlin, Milan, Venice, Barcelona, Vienna, Warsaw, Washington DC, Frankfurt (Main), Hamburg, Amsterdam, Milan, Monaco, Stockholm, Grand Canyon Village – but has time to fly and gather photos over small cities in Romania or Hungary (no offence :) and even there we don’t have 3D mesh of Budapest. In what order do they do it? Where is the logic?

• Does local sponsorship i.e. money play a part, plus local feelings about intrusion into privacy such as Street View has found in Germany and Austria?

• Maybe they need more time to process the imagery, beacuse f.ex. Budapest (and its agglomeration) is approximately 4-5 times bigger than any other cities in Hungary. But I really don’t know, why Google captured Sighişoara, in Romania, that city has only 30000 residents…

• I would be nice if Google did a little explaining on the behind-the-scenes on their Lat Long Blog. I am totally perplexed about this.

9. Timothy – a very helpful and welcome post. Good to see GEB moving into practical subjects like this. Have you edited Wikipedia including a link to your KML?

• Timothy Whitehead says:

No I have not. You are welcome to do so, and anyone is welcome to update the Wikipedia list with information from our KML.

10. Add Hinesville, GA United States

11. How did you manage to find the actual boundaries of the 3D areas? That seems like a lot of work to delineate all of them unless there was already some dataset available. Regardless, I’m still glad it’s included.

12. Here you have some places I miss in the KML:
    Spain: All the area between Sant Feliu de Guixols and Palamós (both included)
    France: La Rochelle and Clermont – Ferrand

• Timothy Whitehead says:

Thanks. I have added the Spanish area. The French locations are the older type of 3D buildings.

• Hey Timothy!, you’re right about the french locations!, but believe me!, I’m 100% sure that they were the new 3D type some weeks ago, I’ve even delimite the area!, it’s quite weird… maybe they were only testing?

Anyway, thanks for this nice klm!

13. They added Evora, Caldas da Raihna, Obidos and Torres Vedras (Potugal)

14. Nice work Timothy. Thanks for doing the poly outlines. I did a map of these for Australia, but it only needed 4 places outlined!

Missing… Big Bear Lake, CA.

Also, Santa Cruz, Yuba City and Truckee, CA are showing as white filled polygons.

I don’t suppose you could do a layer, which just has the poly outlines and not the labels?
    Only because the compete with the normal Labels.
    Or may re-organise the layer into “Outlines” and “Labels” so we can easily check/uncheck one or the other? Just a suggestion.

Andrew

Thank you.
      I have implemented your suggestion. It makes it a little harder to look at all the items for one country / state, but it certainly is nice to be able to see only the regions.
      I hope I didn’t loose any places in the process.

• very nice!

I assume the idea is to maintain this in sync with the current 3D Imagery layer in Earth.

You may want to record a “last checked” or “added on” date in the Info section?

Having time ranges with the layer would be cool so you could see how the 3D Imagery has grown over time. It’s probably too late for the community to do this now.

May want to investigate sharing this thru Google Maps Engine https://mapsengine.google.com/map/

15. This is a very helpful kml. Thanks.
    One question: Nuremberg is still not avialable…. I saw a few mouths ago, I found also in the GE buildings in 3d list at Wikipedia (still in the list), but its missing…. 2d again since 2 mounths. Do you know maybe why?

• Timothy Whitehead says:

It has the older style of 3D buildings. I suspect someone just made a mistake when updating Wikipedia.

• Nuremberg had auto-generated mesh back in July. The same was true for La Rochelle, Clermont-Ferrand and Nashville. Google seems to withdraw some areas after they’ve been added. Nashville has been withdrawn twice.

16. Since we – “the googeearthblog community” :) now have the most accurate and out to date list of areas covered by 3D mesh (even better than Wikipedia) don’t let this post disappear (behind next articles). Since we want people to constantly report new 3d areas – let’s make it a front page link!!! (like HOME ABOUT CONTACTS etc…)

17. City of “Sines, Portugal” the unique city for now having the new 3d in Portugal

18. The Farmington-Novi area northwest of Detroit has auto-generated imagery, as does the Humble-Spring
    area north of Houston.

19. Add Fort Worth, TX

20. This is a very helpful KML, must have took pretty long to make it that detailed :)

21. The poly outline is missing a chunk of 3d imagery on the peninsula just West of North Richmond (North Bay Area, SF).

22. Like “bubollofo” said. We should not let this post disappear. Finally we have a complete list of all cities with the new 3D-imagery. I tried this for myself last month but with cooperation between many people we will have a “completed” list that can be updated as soon we see any new 3d-imagery :)
    Dont let this KML be lost!

23. The Historical Imagery layer has not been updated in weeks. Ridiculous.

24. Lincolnton, NC Has the 3D Mesh Imagery

25. Oslo now has bigger coverage than before. PS. I have big blur over half of Oslo city center in my Google Earth (but not in Google Maps) – is just me? Its the only city with this problem. Any tips?

• Unfortunately, it’s not just you. It appears to be be the Landsat base imagery showing through where there should be 3d imagery. The same phenomenon occurs in two small areas just west of Beaumont, California.

• I have the blur problem in Oslo as well.

• I presume I see what you see in Oslo. I haven’t seen anything quite like that elsewhere, but I do occasionally run across spots where the 3D imagery only begins to render, then stops before completing the job. One such area that I can point to is along the Western shores of Lake Lansing, in Michigan (where the amusement part used to be). It’s east and a little north of East Lansing. One tile just never gets beyond the initial rendering phase. It’s surrounded by normal 3D, and not at the edge of the automatically-generated area. The surface of the lake seems to also be treated as a depression.

• Timothy Whitehead says:

Thanks. I too am seeing the blurry patch, which can’t have been there when I did Oslo before, so it must have happened when they expanded the area.

26. True, Oslo has a bigger covered area now:

I tried to do the same job months ago, but it really is a great deal of work. Thank you Timothy.
    I used a white square to let the 3D data visually pop-up. I don’t know how you did and if it goes quickly than with my method.

27. Timothy Whitehead says:

I also found odd effects at 48° 8’52.61″N 122°13’53.62″W down the top left side of the Everett / Seattle area. When you are zoomed out, there is clearly 3D imagery, but as you zoom in, some of the 3D imagery disappears. I have not yet checked whether it is only on my computer.

28. BTW because new 3d cities/areas are being added almost every day – if you want to follow – visit:

These are Google Earth Wikipedia article list of LATEST edits – and 90% of them are NEW 3d cities being constantly spotted and updated by Wiki editors.

29. Just in: Davis, California.

30. Also Victorville, CA

31. Livermore and Salinas CA

32. More California: the Woodland Hills/Chatsworth/Simi Valley area northwest of Los Angeles.

33. Expanded coverage north of New york City

34. They added Milan, Piacenza, Pavia and Syracuse in Italy, and Auxerre, Montpellier, Carcassonne and Strasboug in France

• Timothy Whitehead says:

I saw the update on the Wikipedia page, but none of those locations appear to be the new type of 3D mesh. Are you referring to the older type of automatically generated buildings, or did they add them temporarily and remove them again, or has the update not reached all users yet?

35. And also Stavanger, Norway was added.

36. Norrköping, Sweden was added!

37. Växjö (Sweden) and Karlstad (Sweden)

38. Also Auckland, New Zeeland

39. This has been a big week: Dublin, Ajaccio (Corsica), Oklahoma City and Memphis (TN).

40. Timothy Whitehead says:

I will be adding Bordeaux, France, the first location I have actually found on my own!
    And Clermont-Ferrand, Albi, Roanne, Tarbes, Vannes, all in France.
    Antwerp, Belgium.

41. Timothy Whitehead says:

Also thanks to Wikipedia editor Uricm55 for Montauban, France.

42. Stuttgart, Germany was added today!

43. Esbjerg must have been also added today, I checked it yesterday and there has been no mesh.

44. Bergen, Norway did it too today! :-)

45. Anton Rudolfsson says:

Goiânia, Brazil. I dont know whether there are new imagery or not. Maybe we have missed it from another update.

46. Anton Rudolfsson says:

Albacete, Spain

47. Hi again, Timothy!, a new one, Santarem in Portugal.

48. They added Ravena in Italy

49. Anton Rudolfsson says:

Brive-la-Gaillarde, France
    Beauvais, France
    Saint-Quentin, France

50. The northern part of Sardinia (Italy) has been updated, looks like a quite large area containing La Maddalena, Palau, Cannigione and others.

51. San Francisco got new mesh and the area increased a bit, covering now also Bonita Cove and Rodeo Cove

• Timothy Whitehead says:

Thanks. Is there any way to tell which bit got new mesh?

• Dont know, I just realised its new in the northern parts of city centre (from Golden Gate Park towards north), quality seems to be improved. Southern parts still have the “old” mesh. I dont think there is a possibility to switch between old and new. Google doesnt seem to inform much about, unfortunately…

52. And newly discovered: Lignano Sabbiadoro (Italy)

53. bubollofo says:

haha…they didn’t even cover all Western-European capital cities – but they did San Francisco second time – google logic.

• Someone in Mountain View is paying attention – Berlin has been added. I’m a bit surprised; I thought Warsaw and Stockholm would appear first, since there was oblique imagery for those cities in Google Maps last summer, and there wasn’t for Berlin. The coverage area for Berlin is good, too (unlike London).

54. ChrisAjayi says:

Visalia, Porterville, Selma. All in California

55. Don’t know how you figure out new areas, but my “trick” is to be in a viewing distance of 30-50 km and then constantly turning on and off the 3d buildings layer while slowly moving with the space navigator (you also could move the globe and keep it constantely rolling while turning the layer on and off). As Google is using different ground imagery for the 3D mesh, you can easily see if there is one.

• That’s a good trick.
      In addition to your trick, I use a kml file with a 120° super wide field of view. With it, you can see a lot more at a time.

• That sounds interesting Sebastien, can you tell more about that kml?

• Sebastien says:

It’s very easy: record a tour via the camcorder icon in the upper bar. This tour doesn’t need to move or even last a second, just start and stop it. Save it to the GE side bar normaly. Save the tour by right-clicking it to your desktop as a KML file (not KMZ), then open the kml file with Notepad. Just replace in this line below the 59 value by 119 (keep the .999999999999) and save.
          59.99999999999999

For tasks where a wide view is usefull like in this thread, I use 119°.
          For everyday navigation, I found 89 to be pleasant. Everything above can mess with your brain :)

• Sebastien says:

Sorry, the line is this one:
          gx:horizFov>89.99999999999999</gx:horizFov

• Timothy Whitehead says:

What I do is draw a polygon over the whole continent with a yellow fill and 50% opacity. Then when you are over a 3D area and low enough altitude, it shows through the polygon very clearly. However I need to be at an eye altitude of under 10km so your method may allow faster coverage.

56. Berlin and parts of Potsdam (Germany) have been added today :-)

57. As I could see from Wikipedia I also confirm Freiburg (Germany)

58. Anton Rudolfsson says:

Osaka (Japan) has the new 3D-imagery. I am not sure whether it was added now or weeks ago.

59. Nuremburg (Germany) returned in 3D

60. And new areas between Orlando and Loughman (Florida), including the Disney World resort.

61. bubollofo says:

Le Mans

62. The newly added northern parts of San Francisco have been why-so-ever removed.
    The same happended to Nuremberg (Germany) some weeks ago, before it reappeared this week.

63. New (according to Wikipedia): Brumunddal (Norway) and Arezzo (Italy)

64. Anton Rudolfsson says:

Gjøvik and Raufoss in Norway added.

65. Also Allegan (Michigan, US)

66. ChrisAjayi says:

Canyon Lake Texas and Tullahoma Tennessee

67. ChrisAjayi says:

Also San Clemente California

68. ChrisAjayi says:

Eudora, Kansas, Centennial, Colorado and Walnut Creek, California

69. Nilsiä (Finland)

70. ChrisAjayi says:

Springfield, Illinois

71. San Fernando Valley (north of LA). The area includes Burbank, San Fernando and Van Nuys.

72. Pasadena (California)

73. And Sherman (Texas)

74. Gilroy (CA)

75. Hey, my fellow 3d-mesh obsessed. Does the KML file with the mesh covered areas automatically update itself whenever the author changes/adds something or how does that work?

• Timothy Whitehead says:

I didn’t set any automatic refreshing in the KML so I think you have to right click and select ‘refresh’ to get the latest.

• Right click on what exactly? Sorry, I don’t really know much about all that stuff.

• Timothy Whitehead says:

Right click on the line that says ‘Map of places with autogenerated 3D Imagery’ and then click ‘Refresh’ in the menu that appears.

76. Got it. Thanks!

77. Reims, France
    Source: Wikipedia (confirmed)

78. Anton Rudolfsson says:

Linares (Spain)

79. Anton Rudolfsson says:

Hamar (Norway)
    It looks like Google think this particular area in Norway is very important!

80. And more in Norway: Ski and As

81. ChrisAjayi says:

Ottawa, Ontario/Aylmer, Quebec Canada

82. ChrisAjayi says:

Florence, Italy also

83. ChrisAjayi says:

Kristiansand, Norway. Terni, Brescia Italy

84. Toluca, Mexico

85. Pordenone, Italy

86. Vittoria and Comiso, Italy

87. Brescia, Italy

88. Anton Rudolfsson says:

Helsingborg (Sweden)

89. Anton Rudolfsson says:

Algeciras, Spain (half the city)

90. Anton Rudolfsson says:

Thousand Oaks, CA
    White Center / Bryn Mawr-Skyway / Newcastle, WA
    Tucson, AZ (extended areas)

91. Not sure if of anyone’s concern but there’s a part south of the center of Seville, Spain without the 3d mesh but with the older type of 3d-buildings.

92. Anton Rudolfsson says:

I see, strange! Maybe they are fixing that area,

93. A large area north of Atlanta including Roswell is now modeled with the new mesh. As is Shizuoka, Japan.

94. Hi, small tweak – the outline near Reggio Calabria in Southern Italy, clips through a coastline which now has 3D Imagery.

95. New Philadelphia, Ohio

96. ChrisAjayi says:

Lewiston, New York, Queenston, Ontario and a large extension to the Buffalo Imagery.

97. Dresden, Germany has the 3d mesh now

98. And also Bergamo (Italy)

99. Sylacauga, Alabama; Derby and Belfast (GB)

100. Forli, Andria, Bari, Brindisi (all Itlay)

101. Timothy Whitehead says:

Utera and Aranjuez, Spain from Google’s map as mentioned in today’s post.

102. Bamberg, Germany

103. Hanover, Germany

104. Hey, so I just now saw something kinda funny and interesting.

You might already have found out yourself but you might not so I’m trying to explain it here.

I don’t know if it only occurs to me but I don’t have the fastest internet connection and when I zoom in really quickly using the right click on my mouse it looks like the areas right next to where the 3d mesh outline ends are still starting to load more 3d buildings but almost instantly after, it disappears and it goes right back to normal satellite photos.

Makes me think that those areas around the now available and published 3d mesh are also “available” but not published by Google yet. I saw that when checking out my house in Coswig, Germany, which is right next to Dresden, and misses being covered in 3d by only a kilometer or so…

I don’t know if you got what I was trying to say, I lived in the U.S. for a year but my English still isn’t the best but if you did you should check it out.

Just thought I’d share that here,

Greetings,

Johann

• It looks like a VERY VERY blurry 3d mesh but then goes back to being a satellite photo.

Just in case you weren’t getting it.

Sorry for spamming so hard today

105. Hamm, Germany

106. Anton Rudolfsson says:

Here are all areas with new 3D-imagery (from Google’s map) that have been added:

EUROPE

Tennessee: Germantown

Mexiko: Tijuana

107. Alesund and Molde, Norway

108. Area from Calvi to Losari (Corsica) France

109. Anton Rudolfsson says:

Europe:
    Norway: Jorstadmoen, Lillehammer (Extended area)
    France: Artiguelouve, Pau (Extended area)

USA:
    Nevada: Black Rock City
    Arizona: Chino Valley, Prescott (Extended area)
    Texas: Southton, San Antonio (Extended area )
    Louisiana: Lafayette
    Alabama: Fort Mitchell, Columbus (Extended area)
    South Carolina: Lancaster
    Pennsylvania: Du Bois

110. New York City got higher quality updates

111. Anton Rudolfsson says:

Nashville (TN) and surrounding areas has appeared on Google’s map as several dots. However, they are not in 3D yet so you guys can keep an eye on that area!

112. Anton Rudolfsson says:

Jönköping (Sweden) got 3D-imagery today!

113. Anton Rudolfsson says:

A huge area north of Milano (Italy)
    Genua (Italy)

114. Anton Rudolfsson says:

Brno (Czech Republic)

115. Torbay (UK)

116. Jena, Germany

117. Cottbus, Germany

118. Chris Ajayi says:

Mississauga, Vaughan, North York, Brampton and Etobicoke Ontario, Canada

119. Anton Rudolfsson says:

Santa Barbara, CA + small expansions of various areas in California.

120. Chris Ajayi says:

Boise, Caldwell-Nampa in Idaho

121. Trieste (Italy)

122. Timothy Whitehead says:

Tromsø (Norway)

123. Already mentioned by someone, but still not in the kmz: Santa Barbara CA. BTW: Thank you Timothy, great work!

124. Anton Rudolfsson says:

Bodø, Norway

125. bubollofo says:

Sion, Switzerland

126. Please add this Bacolor, Central Luzon, Philippines

127. Chris Ajayi says:

Toronto, Canada. FINALLY!

128. Erfurt, Germany

129. and FINALLY Amsterdam, Netherlands

130. Chris Ajayi says:

Santa Fe, NM
    Chandler and Tempe, AZ

131. Anton Rudolfsson says:

West Covina and Pomona (Los Angeles area)

132. Fréjus, France

133. Luzern, Switzerland

134. bubollofo says:

also Chur, Switzerland

135. bubollofo says:

Cannes (France) area (from Frejus to Nice)

136. bubollofo says:

and from Frejus – west (along the sea) to Cavalaire-sur-Mer (including inter alia: Saint-Tropez, Port Cogolin, Sainte Maxime)

137. Also: Blackpool, UK

138. Antioch, CA

139. Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain

140. ChrisAjayi says:

Langley, BC Canada

141. Huge area east of Vancouver, Canada including the cities of Maple Ridge, Langley and White Rock

142. And the subburbs of Kerkira, Greece

143. The entire city of Cuiabá in Brazil has been added

144. Still missing that area near Kerkira, Greece on the KML file

145. Strip between Predeal and Campina, Romania

146. Chris Ajayi says:

Barrie, Bradford, Innisfil, Keswick Ontario, Canada

147. Würzburg, Germany

148. Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic

149. Chris Ajayi says:

Blackburn, Exeter, Colchester UK

150. Chris Ajayi says:

Vicenza, Italy

151. Ourense, in Spain

152. Lugano, Switzerland (Campione, Italy)

153. Bangor, Northern Ireland, UK

154. chrisajayi says:

Nashua, NH
    Fall River and New Bedford, MA
    Winchester and Newport News, VA

155. ChrisAjayi says:

Dunn, NC
    Bountiful, UT

156. Truckee, CA (USA) seems to have gone back to flat aerial imagery.

157. Anton Rudolfsson says:

Beaufort, SC

158. bubollofo says:

Büsingen am Hochrhein, Germany

159. The new “outlines” are not very efficient. In fact, it covers what I’m having the KML file for… I think it was better as it was before

• Timothy Whitehead says:

The old style outlines are still available. Just click on ‘Sorted by country’. I may switch that to being the default depending on feed back from readers.

• That’s good to see both, though what is the point with filled area? It gives a sense of the current coverage, is that all?
        I think, newbies could get frustrated with your file if they don’t find the “sorted by countries” first.

160. That’d be me. Can’t find that “sorted by countries”.

And I share Sebastien’s opinion. I’m always up for something new. Maybe it’s better, though, to have the old stile as default.

161. Timothy Whitehead says:

Beja, Portugal. From GEB reader via email.

162. New areas Europe that I found so far:

Chemnitz, Germany
    Vienna, Austria (finally)

163. I really like the new outlines! *thumbs up*

164. Chris Ajayi says:

Salem, OR

165. Anton Rudolfsson says:

Oak Harbor, WA
    Cedar Park (Austin update), TX

166. ChrisAjayi says:

Brighton, England

167. ChrisAjayi says:

Surprise, AZ
    San Tan Valley (Phoenix Extension)

168. Chris Ajayi says:

Extensions to the imagery of Ottawa, Canada now encompassing Gatineau, Quebec

169. Timothy Whitehead says:

Google have updated their map with new locations:

170. Extensions to Napoli reagion (Italy), including Pozzuoli and the islands of Ischia and Procida

171. Nigel Coxon says:

Annoyingly, the 3D layer for Huddersfield doesn’t cover my house – literally stops the other side of the road!

172. Nigel Coxon says:
  173. Anton Rudolfsson says:

Greece: Mikonos
    Bulgaria: Yambol
    Denmark: Vejle
    Spain: Roquetas de Mar
    Italy: Pozzuoli (Naples), Ischia
    Japan: Sagamihara (Tokyo)
    Canada: Sainte-Catherine (Montreal)

174. You might wonna fix that outline in Mikonos, Greece

The area around the airport doesnt have the mesh, strangely so.

175. The Hoover dam area connected to Boulder city just got 3d mesh.

176. Chris Ajayi says:

Updated Imagery and Expanded Coverage for:
    Boulder City now covers the Hoover Dam
    Reno, NV
    St. George, UT

177. Just realized that the “new” 3d mesh in Vienna must be more than two years old. You can see the DC Tower Skyscraper barely under construction although it was finished October 2013! Crazy that it took them so long to release it.

178. Also – and I don’t want to make something like a picky impression on you guys but – as a German I just wanted to say that in the coverage area of Mannheim in Germany there’s also a placemarker set for the cities of Speyer and Weinheim. However, I can promise you those cities are nothing but suburbs that were lucky receiving coverage, instead the cities of Ludwigshafen and Heidelberg are in fact well known German major cities that do deserve to have a placemarker. I know that Speyer and Weinheim are also mentioned in the Wikipedia article but just like I said, I don’t see why.

The reason why I say this is because I love this KML file and I can’t imagine my Google Earth without it because I find Google’s 3d mesh awfully fascinating and I am always looking for a way to improve the file by posting on this page.

And last but not least, I wanted to ask wether, when I see some incorrect outlines, if you want me to tell you like I did when I saw it in Mikonos, Greece. I saw a couple missplaced ones before and I didn’t say anything because I didn’t want to seem like the grumpy offensive German stereo-type. lol

have a good one

Brandon, FL

185. Leira, Portugal

186. Saarbrücken, Germany

187. Venice, Italy

188. Hilo, Hawaii
    Lahaina, Hawaii

189. Sacramento international airport area is filled in with 3d mesh now.

190. Chris Ajayi says:

Expansion and updated imagery for Buffalo and Pittsburgh

191. Timothy Whitehead says:

Placerville, CA

192. Additions and updated imagery to Colorado springs, Colorado

193. Timothy Whitehead says:

Expansion to Merced, CA

194. The Surprise, AZ imagery is far more expansive now, covering from Buckeye to the Phoenix imagery

195. Anton Rudolfsson says:

According to Wikipedia: Cheltenham, Great Britain

196. Anton Rudolfsson says:

Vitória, Vila Velha (Espírito Santo, Brazil)

197. The Dublin 3D-imagery is gone

198. Nashville is back in 3d!!!

199. Gig harbour, Washington
    Kent, Washington

200. SeaTac, Washington

201. Cologne, Germany

202. Hull, England

203. Logroño (Spain), Brasov (Romania), Bologna (Italy), Albufeira, Portimão, Faro (all Portugal)

204. Cambridge, UK and surrounding area now 3D.

205. Chris Ajayi says:

Expansion to the East of Sacramento
    Update to Corvallis, OR now covering Lebanon, OR

206. Castres, France

207. Atlantic beach, Florida

208. Kongsberg, Norway

209. Hi, Timothy please add Larissa,Greece.

210. Anton Rudolfsson says:

Half Moon bay / Moss Beach / El Granada (San Francisco mesh)
    Eastern part of Mesa / Apashe Junction / Gold Canyon (Phoenix mesh)

Unfortunately, I see many parts of 3D-imagery areas all around the world that have been removed. For example Great Neck, NY. I suspect that Google have updated those areas and hence those changes. If someone figure it out what is happening, please tell me!

211. Bergisch Gladbach in the Cologne area has over 100,000 people living there. Definetely worth being added as placemarker.

Also the Northern and Eastern part of the Adelaide area in Australia has been removed by quite a bit.

212. Timberwood park, Texas

213. Manchester, England

214. Columbus, Ohio
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

215. Waipahu, Hawaii

216. Baltimore, Maryland

217. Hagerstown, MD
    Updated and expanded imagery for Calgary, Alberta, Canada

218. Lake Wales, Florida

219. Plsen, Czech Republic
    Katowice, Poland (NEW COUNTRY)
    Trier, Germany
    Siegen, Germany
    Scafati, Italy (extending Naples area)
    Blois, France

Minden, Louisiana

229. Anton Rudolfsson says:

St. Louis, MO

230. Santos (Brazil)

231. Heilbronn, Germany

232. Hey Timothy,
    The KML file is not working for me anymore. Already re-downloaded it.
    The features simply don’t show up.

The file icon has a red circle in front of it that is usually green, I think. But my internet connection is working.

Do you know how I can fix this?

Have a nice weekend!

-Johann

233. bubollofo says:

The KML file not working for me too (today). Yesterday it was ok.

234. Its not working for me too.

235. ChrisAjayi says:

Torrevieja, Spain

236. Linz, Austria update and (extended area)

237. Neuchâtel, Switzerland
    Turin, Italy

238. Timothy Whitehead says:

Zagreb, Croatia – from a GEB reader via email

239. Prague, Czech Republic

240. Prage (Czech Republic) and Middlesbrough,(England)

241. Ipswich (England)

Expansion to the Bay Lake and Loughman imagery, FL
    St. Cloud, FL

248. ChrisAjayi says:

Update and Expansion to Charlotte, NC

249. Hey Timothy, you forgot to add Pforzheim, germany in your update. 😉

250. Hey Timothy, Yellowstone National Park, WY

251. Timothy, thank you so much for your work.

252. Houston,TX updated and extended area

Maple Valley, WA

260. Anton Rudolfsson says:

Sète, France

261. Raleigh, North Carolina updated and extended area

262. Vladimir says:

*Cosenza, Italy
    has an extended urban area that goes till Marano (West) and Montalto Uffugo / Settimo (North)

I wish you can add all
    thanks

263. bubollofo says:

Cosenza, Italy is not in 3D

264. Anton Rudolfsson says:

According to Google’s map:
    El Ejido (Spain)
    Dornbirn, Bregenz (Austria)
    Nishi, Kako, Tarumi and other cities in the area (Japan)
    Discovery Bay (San Fransisco, California)
    Spanish Springs (Reno, Nevada)

265. Augsburg, Germany (update and slight expansion)

266. Larvik, Norway extended area.
    Sandefjord, Norway extended area.
    Tønsberg, Norway extended area.

267. Bergen, Norway updated and extended area.

268. Rome,Italy extended area.

269. Victoria, Canada updated and extended area.

270. Murrieta,CA extended area.

271. Boulder City, NV extended area.

272. Reno, NV extended area.

273. Temecula, CA extended area.

274. Montreal, Canada extended area.

275. Ottawa, Canada extended area.

276. Miłosz says:

Warsaw, Poland

277. + Coimbra (Portugal)
    + Valladolid (Spain)
    + Pescara (Italy)

• Can confirm Coimbra, though it’s not showing in the kml (nor Valladolid) – guess it’s getting increasingly harder to keep up with the updates.

278. + Granada (Spain)

279. + Reggio Emilia (Italy)

280. + Plovdiv (Bulgaria)

281. + León (Spain)

282. + Bournemouth, England

283. + Klagenfurt (Austria)
    + Sliven (Bulgaria)

284. ChrisAjayi says:

Warren, MI, Muskegon. MI
    Carson City, NV, Henderson, NV, North Las Vegas, NV
    Green Bay, WI
    Decatur, IL
    Gulfport, MS, Biloxi, MS, Pascagoula, MS, Bay St Louis, MS
    Expansion to Cincinnati, OH
    Update and Expansion to Boston, MA

285. Raleigh, North Carolina updated and extended area.

286. ChrisAjayi says:

Amarillo, TX, Allen, TX, Frisco, TX
    Eureka, CA, Mckinleyville, CA
    Expansion to Baltimore, MD
    Williamsport, PA

287. Turlock,CA
    Modesto, CA extended area
    Salida,CA
    Ripon,CA
    Oakdale, CA
    Stockton, CA extended area
    Denair, CA
    Adela,CA

288. Portland,OR updated and extended area.

289. Mount Vernon, WA updated and extended area.

290. Spokane, WA updated and extended area.

291. Evansville, Indiana extended area.

292. Birmingham, Alabama updated and extended area.

293. Nagoya, Ichinomiya, Gifu, and other cities in the area (Japan).

294. Kobe, Hyogo, Suma Japan.

295. Takasago, Himeji, Ibo and other cities in the area (Japan).

296. Oceanside, CA

297. El Cajon, CA

298. Jackson says:

Denver, Colorado updated and expanded area.

299. Nice, France updated and extended area

300. Hi, Timothy please add Savona, Italy

301. Hi, Timothy Minden, Nevada

302. Also please add Frisco and Allen, TX

303. Is there any way of knowing when an area will be in 3D? I’ve been waiting for about a year for the expansion of the Connecticut coverage to include Bridgeport , New Haven, and Meriden. It hasnt happened yet. Im waiting

• Unfortunately we don’t know. Seems like Google is keeping that a secret. There’s no “behind the scenes” that tells us what cities/locations are in progress or “coming soon” as far as I know.

304. Anton Rudolfsson says:

Please be patient! It take some time to add all those cities to our KML-file.

305. Naples, FL

306. Sagamihara, Japan extended area

307. Expansion to Liverpool/Merseyside, England

308. ChrisAjayi says:

Savannah, GA

309. Kobe, Japan extended area
    Osaka, Japan extended area
    Kyoto, Japan extended area

310. Hi, Timothy please add Santiago, Chile.

311. ChrisAjayi says:

Clearwater and St Petersburg, Florida

312. Amiens, France

313. Girona, Spain

314. Vigo and Pontevedra, Spain

315. + Huelva, Spain

316. Anton Rudolfsson says:

Delft, Netherlands

317. ChrisAjayi says:

Euless, Texas

318. Hi, Timothy please add Stara Zagora, Bulgaria.

319. Hi, Timothy please add Burgas, Bulgaria.

320. Hi, Timothy please add Shumen, Bulgaria.

321. Hi, Timothy please add Constanta, Romania

322. I don’t understand why Brussels, Belgium is still with the old 3D while almost all major cities around it are with the new mesh

323. someone 1 says:

Koblenz, Germany

324. Durham, North Carolina

325. ChrisAjayi says:

Lancaster, York, Reading, PA
    Petersburg, VA

326. ChrisAjayi says:

State College, PA
    New Braunfels, TX

327. Vero beach, Florida

328. Cleveland, Ohio extended area.

329. Vancouver, Canada updated and extended area.

330. Buenos Aires, Argentina right there to San Martin.

331. Richmond, Virginia updated and extended area.

332. Columbia, South Carolina updated and extended area.

333. Detroit, Michigan updated and extended area.

334. Ladner, British Columbia
    Delta, British Columbia
    Sunshine Hills, British Columbia

335. Springdale, South Carolina
    Oak Dale, South Carolina

336. Hi, Timothy please add Lecce, Italy.

337. Hi, Timothy please add Vigegano, Pavia Italy.

338. Hi, Timothy please add Lamezia Terme, Catanzaro Italy.

339. Hi, Timothy please add Rovigo, Italy.

340. Hi, Timothy please add Foligno, Italy

341. + Novara, Italy

342. Hi, Timothy please add Altamura, Bari Italy
    Hi, Timothy please add Gravina in Puglia, Bari Italy.

343. Hi, Timothy please add Matera, Italy.

344. Anton Rudolfsson says:

Kihei, Wailea-Makena (Hawaii)
    João Pessoa (Brazil)

345. Kumamoto, and other cities in the area Japan.

346. Anton Rudolfsson says:

Saint-Cyr-sur-Mer, Le Beausset, Sanary-sur-Mer (France)

347. Jackson says:

Jacksonville, Florida

348. Jackson says:

Minneapolis, Minnesota. “Finally”

349. Arlington, Texas
    Grand Prairie, Texas
    Dalworthington, Texas
    Mansfield, Texas
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Duncanville, Texas
    Euless, Texas extended area
    Forth Worth, Texas extended area.

350. Toni M says:

Southend-on-Sea, England

359. Ferrol, Spain

360. Imola, Italy

361. Reims, France

362. Rodrigo says:

Hyères, France

363. Sorry! I think I’ve been a bit silly there.

364. Alessandria, Italy

365. Agrigento, Italy

366. Faenza, Italy

367. Charleville-Mezieres, France

368. Ascoli Piceno, Italy
    Teramo, Italy

369. Campobasso, Italy

370. Belfort/Montbeliard, France

371. Hyères, France

372. Pula, Croatia

373. Nuoro (Sardinia, Italy)

374. ChrisAjayi says:

Pleasanton, TX

375. Longview, Texas updated and extended area.

376. Murrieta, CA extended area

Grand Prairie, TX
    University Park, TX
    Farmers Branch, TX
    Coppell, TX
    North Branch,TX
    Richardson, TX
    Euless, TX updated and extended area.
    Arlington TX extended area.

384. I think it’s been mentioned before but:
    Lubbock, TX

385. ChrisAjayi says:

Brainerd, MN
    Jackson, MI
    Portsmouth, OH
    Pottsville, PA
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Beckley, WV
    Crestville, FL
    Leesburg, FL
    Winter Haven, FL
    Parkton, NC

386. Jackson says:

Port Elisabeth, South Africa!!!

387. Hi, Timothy East London, South Africa new country !

388. Hi, Timothy Rustenburg, South Africa.

389. Hi, Timothy Uitenhage, South Africa.

390. Hi, Timothy Pristina, Kosovo new country !

391. Hi, Timothy Podgorica, Montenegro new country !

392. Curry Village, CA
    Grass Valley, CA
    Sanger, CA

393. Jackson says:

Midland, Texas updated and extended area.

394. Jackson says:

Bellevue, Washington updated and extended area

395. Jackson says:

Is it just me because if you go to north platte, Nebraska only the convention center is in 3d. I think it only works on a smartphone or tablet. But ya has anyone been experiencing this too?

396. Jonathan Rosas says:

Hey Timothy! You can add Panama City (The Whole Metropolitan Area) Some cities of Panama Oeste like Chorrera, Arraijan and Capira, Coronado and Chame.
    Colon and The Whole Panama Canal Trail.

• Timothy Whitehead says:

Hi Jonathan, This post is for letting us know about new 3D that is already in Google Earth and not for requests.

397. Yosemite valley, CA

398. Fairbanks, Alaska

399. Timothy Whitehead says:

The blurred patch over Oslo seems to have finally been fixed.

• Jackson says:

The blur hasn’t gone away for me. Do you mean with the 3d mesh it has been fixed or with the imagery? Or both?

400. In version 7.1.2 it was also still blurred for me. Updated to 7.1.4 and now its fixed :-)

401. Anton Rudolfsson says:

According to Google’s map:

American Fork (Salt Lake City updated), United States
    Los Palacios y Villafranca (Sevilla updated), Spain
    Toyota (Nagoya updated), Japan
    Mito, Japan
    Maebashi, Japan

402. Messina, Italy extended area.

403. Badajoz, Spain extended area.

404. Salamanca, Spain extended area.

405. Lleida, Spain extended area.

406. Trapani, Italy

407. Viterbo,Italy

408. La Spezia, Italy

409. Bilbao, Spain

410. Caen, France

411. Hamburg,Germany

412. Jackson says:

Honolulu, Hawaii. Finally!

413. Jackson says:

Knoxville, Tennessee

414. Newcastle, Australia

415. Jackson says:

Pittsfield, Massachusetts

416. Florence, Italy updated and extended area.

417. Parma, Italy extended area.

418. San Antonio, CA
    Petaluma, CA extended area.

419. San Antonio,CA
    Petaluma, CA extended area
    Bloomfield, CA
    Rohnert Park,CA extended area
    Sebastopol, CA extended area
    Neils Islands, CA

420. ChrisAjayi says:

Gadsden, AL

421. Hi, Timothy please add Chioggia, Veneto Italy.

422. Marsala, Italy

423. Lamezia Terme, Italy is not in 3d.

424. Jaen, Spain is not in 3d.

425. Eastern half of Almeria, Spain

Willimantic, CT went 3D

438. ChrisAjayi says:

Columbia, TN
    Berea, Richmond, KY
    Watertown, Johnson Creek, Jefferson, Fort Atkinson, Whitewater, WI
    Santa Maria, CA

439. Garland, TX (Dallas extanded)

440. Jacksonville, Florida extended area

441. flymkj1 says:

Statesville, NC!

442. Hi, Timothy Please add Cerignola, Apulia Italy.

443. Alicante, Spain extended area

444. ChrisAjayi says:

Ottawa, Marseilles, IL

445. Sebastien says:

I recommand visiting the world’s greatest aircraft cemetery, “The Boneyard”, south east of Tucson, TX

446. The area in between Pasadena, Glendale, and Los Angeles, CA

447. Banning, CA

448. Jonathan Rosas says:

Barcelona, Spain

449. Jonathan Rosas says:

Anchorage, Alaska

450. miłosz says:

Sofia, Bulgaria

451. Gijon and Oviedo (Spain)

452. Cluj-Napoca, Romania

453. Varna, Bulgaria

454. Aarhus, Denmark

455. Gela, Italy

456. Tampere, Finland

457. Pori, Finland

458. Rapallo, Italy

459. ChrisAjayi says:

Update and expansion to Wichita, KS

460. Expansion to Dallas, TX area (near Duncanville and De Soto)

461. Oklahoma City updated and extended

462. Wichita, KS (extended)

…and probably more

463. Cascais, Estoril, Oeiras, Carcavelos, Sintra, Algueirao, etc…. (Portugal)

464. Hi, Timothy. In outlines sorted by country, Manresa (Spain) is gone.

465. Jonathan Rosas says:

The blurry glitch in oslo is now fixed?
    I have went to oslo in google earth and looks like that already is fixed and corrected the 3d mesh

466. Alverca and Povoa (Portugal)

467. Reggio Calabria, Italy updated and extended area.

468. Leonardo says:

Hi Timothy, you can add please Lima Peru, located in South America, I hope your answer

• Timothy Whitehead says:

Hi Leonardo, we are not part of Google and do not add the 3D imagery ourselves. We are just monitoring what Google adds.

• Leonardo says:

Thanks for replying, then, if the list of cities in Wikipedia is updated, and suppose “Lima Peru” auto-generated appears, you are upgrading to 3D images of the city ?, if I’m wrong, correct me

Sorry for the bad English, I hope you understand, Greetings

• We are not Google. We only monitor when we see that cities got updated in 3d. Both this list and the list in Wikipedia are having the cities added AFTER they’ve been spotted in Google earth. You CANNOT make request. No one can. The process of adding cities happens behind closed doors of Google and we do not know when they are added.

Hope this helps your understanding,
          Greetings,
          -Johann

• Leonardo says:

Hello Johann, thank you for responding, I think I understood, that means that no one knows about it, when or at what point will update the cities from different countries to 3D images, thank you very much, and I removed the doubts, Greetings!

469. ChrisAjayi says:

Butler, PA
    Bluefield, VA/Princeton, WV
    Dallas/Hyram, GA
    Raymond, MS
    Yuma, AZ updated and expanded area
    Albany, GA updated and expanded area

470. Cocoa, Florida updated and extended area.
    Titusville, Florida updated and extended area.
    Cocoa West, Florida
    Rockledge, Florida
    Merrit Island, Florida
    Cocoa Beach, Florida
    Cape Canaveral, Florida
    Port Canaveral, Florida
    Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida

471. Ocala, Florida updated and extended area.
    Silver Springs Shores, Florida
    Belleview, Florida
    Summerfield, Florida
    Ocklawaha, Florida
    Zuber, Florida
    Martin, Florida
    Anthony, Florida
    Adams Hammock, Florida
    Marion, Florida

472. Mobile, Alabama updated and extended area

473. Hi, Timothy. In outlines sorted by country, Greenville, South Carolina is gone.

474. Wichita, Kansas extended area.

475. Mount Desert Island, Maine extended area.

476. According to Google’s map:

Tallahassee ,Florida,USA extended
    Mt Plymouth ,Florida, USA
    Sheboygan ,Wisconsin, USA extended
    Mankato ,Minnesota, USA extended
    Joplin ,Missouri, USA extended
    Indio, Cathedral City, Palm Springs ,California, USA extended

477. Have a look at 3D Warsaw, Poland. Its central part is pretty well modelled, but the model does not cover even all downtown and on the edges difference in ground level reach 10 meters and more. 3D photo edges going across densly build-up areas with such error in elevation are horrible :-/

Question is: which model is correct: the general (old) or the 3D photo (new one)? I made a short research and there is no such issue with other cities in Europe.

478. Hi, Timothy,
    you can add please Ahmedabad, India

• There seems to ba a common missunderstanding.

Timothy does NOT create the 3d models himself, this blog-post is only there to monitor which cities have been added by Google. The comments you see above are not requests, they are simply to let Timothy know what cities have been newly updated to Google Earth so he can add those to the KML file which he has created. I recommend reading the whole post.

This is blog is also not operated by Google.

Requests for 3d areas CANNOT be made.

Greetings,