3000 posts later, Google Earth Blog moves to WordPress

It’s been a long time coming, but Google Earth Blog has finally made the jump from Movable Type over to WordPress!  With over 3,000 posts (this one is #3005) and more than 17,000 comments, it was quite a migration.  In the end, this move should be good for all of us.  In particular:
brandmark

New branding

We’ve updated our logo to make it stand out more when you browsing around on line.

Easier Commenting

Comments will now be posted much more quickly, and replies can be threaded.  In addition, you can subscribe to email notifications for follow-up comments on particular posts, making it much easier to keep up with discussions that you’re a part of.

Mobile Responsive

The site is now fully mobile responsive, meaning it should look great on your phone or tablet, as well as your desktop or laptop.  The previous site was mobile compatible, but was cumbersome on handheld devices.

Faster Loading

Everything should load faster and run more smoothly for you.  Of course, we’re still ironing out the kinks after this major transition, so please leave a comment below or contact us if you come across any issues (missing pages, broken links, etc).

Thanks!

About Mickey Mellen

Mickey has been using Google Earth since it was released in 2005, and has created a variety of geo-related sites including Google Earth Hacks. He runs a web design firm in Marietta, GA, where he lives with his wife and two kids.

Comments

1. The advertising makes for horizontal scrolling on my mobile. Otherwise I’m liking the changes.

2. What a welcome surprise when I opened GEB this morning – looks good and functions well – congratulations!

3. EMoeller says:

Congratulations! I like the new site look. I hope the recent WordPress bot thing doesn’t interfere with your upgrades.

• Mickey Mellen says:

Nope, no worries about the bot (other than some potential slowness). It’s only attacking “admin” usernames, which we don’t have, plus we have a variety of other pieces in place to stop those sorts of attacks. So far, so good!

4. So is this an official Google blog? If so, why the move to WordPress? Is Blogger going to be deleted? I sure hope not.

• Mickey Mellen says:

This is not an official Google blog, so that has nothing to do with Blogger and I doubt it’s going anywhere. In addition, you can look at Google employees such as Matt Cutts that have used WordPress for their blogging platform for years.

5. I do find it a bit slower than the old layout, but could be a temporary problem. The email notifications and comment reply features are very useful.
    The only remark so far is that the font size is huge (with impact on spacing too), which means that scrolling down and reading is a bit painful.

Anyway, it is a refreshing change and therefore I would like to congratulate Mickey for doing it.

• Mickey Mellen says:

Thanks for the feedback. We’re still tinkering with font sizes and spacing and we’ll keep that in mind.

• To see what I mean about huge size, just compare:
        (old version cached by Google)

I do have a large 24″ screen @ 1900×1200 resolution, but resizing the window does not change it (could be caused the mobile responsive theme).

• The font, its size and clarity, plus the lack of clutter and graphical gimmicks, is great, and a refreshing change from many other blogs. Please keep it this way.

PS How do you get an icon to replace the faceless head?

• Mickey Mellen says:

Chris — Those icons are generated by gravatar.com. Set up an account there, and it’ll show your avatar based on your email address. It’s pretty slick.

• MIckey – many thanks, and good for those who like a higher profile, but I think I will keep mine a little lower ;-)

6. Fantastic Design!

7. Great new look and feel Mickey.
    Congratulations from all iNovmapping team!

8. Jordan Moch says:

Cool look and a nice change of website. This gives it a more today’s look than the 2005 look. Only thing I don’t like is the removal of date of the blog’s history. But overall, like you said, comments and everything are faster and reliable.

9. Arcangel Michael 2 says:

Say good bye to the printing press!………………….I guess.

10. nagylaszlo71 says: