How to correct map errors in Google Earth

We get a lot of emails from users asking us to correct data errors in Google Earth — incorrect road names, mis-marked addresses, etc. We can’t do that directly, but fortunately Google has a great solution to help you out.

To start, you don’t actually fix the errors in Google Earth; you fix them in Google Maps, and those corrections are synced into Google Earth over the course of a few weeks.

To suggest a correction, simply right-click on an area inside of Google Maps and choose “Report a problem”. The following screen will pop-up and will walk you through the process:

report-problem.jpg
I’ve suggested quite a few edits to my local area, and all have been accepted into Google Earth/Maps and helped make my town more accurate. It’s a great tool to help make Google products more accurate for everyone. To learn more about how this process works, you can visit this page in the Google Maps support system.

About Mickey Mellen

Mickey has been using Google Earth since it was released in 2005, and has created a variety of geo-related sites including Google Earth Hacks. He runs a web design firm in Marietta, GA, where he lives with his wife and two kids.

Comments

1. Geoffrey Zub says:

Don’t forget you can also edit/add features in Google Map Maker and I believe the changes also propagate to Earth… http://mapmaker.google.com

2. Ali Shareef says:

yesterday i informed you in Google+ that there is new imagery in Malé, the capital city of Maldives. it has still not appeared in Google Maps. why has there been no post about it? is it just Malé this time?

3. True, this really works. I’ve sent in many corrections in the Netherlands and Belgium and after a month or so they have been corrected by Google, they even inform you about it.

4. Keith Nield says:

Very Interesting

5. I have tried to correct our address on numerous occasions and have been unsuccessful. So after a guest was sent miles away from our address after using Google maps, I tried again. However, when I tried to report a problem the “report a problem” button will not work. What’s wrong.

6. James Mac says:

Not entirely helpful – we have some mis-marked boundaries on Google Earth (Jersey civil parishes), but they do not show up on Maps and the right-click function doesn’t work with Earth. I’ve submitted feedback as best I can.
    But hey, I suppose we have to expect to be left in the dark ages.

7. James Grimes says:

Echoing James Mac’s comment. I found a misplaced mountain peak labeled in Google Earth, but it doesn’t show up in Google Maps. The “right-click anywhere” advice isn’t quite right – you have to click the question-mark button in the lower-right of google maps. Then it wants you to click a feature that’s wrong. But the feature doesn’t exist in Google Maps. So from here it appears that there’s no feedback mechanism for all built-in features in Google Earth.

8. Mike Smith says:

I want to change an incorrect highway exit road’s name on “Earth” that is correct in “Maps”. So fixing it in Maps isn’t the answer. At least there is no link-up between “Earth” and “Maps” in the area between Victorville and Barstow CA. If you have an actually TESTED method, rather than what you think may or SHOULD enable me to change it, I’d like to hear of it. Or if you are an expert, the correction should be made at 34-45.09N, 117-09.57W. The road should be corrected to “HODGE ROAD”, from the presently incorrect “Stoddard Mountain Road”. If you want confirmation of the error before acting…1.) you can see the exit is correctly named in Google Maps. The confusion may be from the fact that Hodge Road DOES intersect with Stoddard Mountain Road one mile east of the the highway, but Stoddard Mountain Road never intersects with Interstate-15, as does Hodge Road. Hodge Road is the connecting road between Interstate-15 and Stoddard Mountain Road. The real world, actual Interstate-15 exit sign correctly reads “Hodge Road Exit. Also there is an exit, correctly designated “Stoddard WELLS Road 20 miles south, so I wish to eliminate any confusion for tourists. Thanks for your help.