Google not only released all new more beautiful imagery of the Earth today, but they also released a whole new version of Google Earth – version 6.2. You can download it here. The biggest news is the integration with Google+:
Here is a quick list of the new features:
- Integration with Google+ – you can now sign into your Google+ account and you can Share your current view with Google+. This feature could have meant that your “My Places” content would be shared on different machines, but apparently they have not implemented that capability yet.
- New Search Interface – Google has made substantial changes to the way searching is done in Google Earth. The results look more like Google Maps. You can also now get walking and biking directions just like in Google Maps. Search results also happen dynamically. They have put a lot of effort to updating the search capabilities in Google Earth to bring it in line with Google Maps. The font is much bigger – actually, it seems a bit too big. You may need to increase the width of your sidebar to be able to read the results better. See screenshot below.
- New graphic rendering – Google has made changes including turning on anisotropic filtering by default.
- New Imagery in Google Earth Mobile version – The new version of the imagery of the Earth also appears in the mobile version of Google Earth.
- Improvements to Network Links – better handling of parallel loading of network links.
We will keep adding to this list as we find significant new features. More details from Google are available in the release notes.
Here is a screenshot of the new search results: