A few cool bits of news about StreetView:
• Navigate through photos: Google has added a feature where you can navigate through user photos while in StreetView. The new feature is quite cool and feels a lot like Microsoft’s Photosynth (seen in our Resources for Haiti or Frank’s recent photos of Petite Tabac). This new StreetView feature is a neat way to fly from photo to photo, and offers a way for you to see much more imagery than the standard StreetView provides.
Here’s a video of how it works:
• Winners of the Trike contest: Back in November, we told you about Google’s contest involving their Streetview “Trikes”. You could vote for places that you’d for the trike to visit, and winners would be announced. Well, the winners are here!
After more than 238,000 submissions, totaling more than 25,000 locations, Google started narrowing it down. Those 25,000 locations were put up to a public vote, after which the 24 finalists were revealed. The winners were:
- University Campuses: Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY
- Parks & Trails: Boulder Creek Path, Boulder, CO
- Pedestrian Malls: Faneuil Hall Marketplace, Boston, MA
- Landmarks: The National Mall, Washington, DC
- Theme Parks & Zoos: Detroit Zoo, Detroit, MI
Congratulations to the winners, and look for their imagery to appear in StreetView in the next few months!