GEB reader Jiro Shirota wrote to say he has completed a dynamic KML which shows Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM) digital elevation model in a shaded relief format for the Earth. He had previously released one for just North America back in 2007. The new global shaded relief map shows gray-colored shaded terrain. It’s a more visible way to look at terrain of our planet making it very apparent where the mountains and canyon geography exists. As you zoom in closer, higher resolution versions of the map are loaded automatically.
From Jiro’s website:
This project is now managed by Caracle Creek International Consulting (CCIC) Inc. The new version of the shaded relief layer for Google Earth is now complete. This version covers the entire SRTM dataset (80% of the land on the Earth). It is based on the SRTM V2 product. A new “fill” algorithm was developed at CCIC, which significantly improved the cartographic quality of the layer without compromising the accuracy.
- Best Topographical Map for Google Earth
- Google Maps Terrain in Google Earth – a trick for showing Google Maps shaded relief and contours in Google Earth
- High Resolution Terrain Detail Option in Google Earth
- New High Resolution Terrain Western US and Canaries
- Google Earth More Realistic High Resolution Terrain
- New Terrain – July 27