I’ve started getting reports of new imagery available in Google Earth today! The update is occurring as I write this because not everyone is seeing the new images yet, but it will probably be fully deployed within a few hours. Here are a few places I’ve confirmed (I will update this list as people tell me about other places – leave comments below please):
[UPDATED 1130, 1143, 1150, 1410, 2220 EDT - Thanks to all the input from GEB readers around the world!]
[UPDATED July 15: Wow, looks like GEB readers got it right. Check out the official details on this imagery update from Google (a pretty close match to our list - actually, ours is a little more informative).]
- Catalonia/Spain – My story about 3D Roses is a popular story right now, and that’s where people first started reporting the new imagery. The entire Catalonia area has new imagery mostly dated September 2006 by the Institut Cartográfic de Catalunya. Also, Murcia, Zaragoza, Toledo, Granada, Cuenca and Cáceres (see comment below). Also, Valencia. Also: Lleida, Tarragona, Barcelona
- Portugal – Looks like areas in Portugal have new imagery.
- Czech Republic – entire country has Spot Image (medium resolution 2.5 meter)
- Slovakia – entire country with Spot Image
- Hungary – entire country with Spot Image
- Croatia – Notheastern part
- Australia – All of western Australia has Spot Image as well! Also, some new low resolution imagery for the Great Barrier Reef area off North Eastern Australia (see dark colored imagery). Adelaide, Brisbane, Tasmania
- USA – Looks like all of New Mexico has high resolution now. Credits to NMR GIS dated July 2005.
- Mexico – Central Mexico has Spot Image imagery
- Italy – Rome, Naples
- Venezuela – Maracaibo (Thanks Gerardo!)
- Germany – center of Munich
- Canada – Quebec, Southern Ottawa
- California – Areas around San Francisco, San Diego, Benicia, Solano County, Monterey, Palo Alto, Los Angeles (unconfirmed)
- England – Bristol, Worcester, Evesham
- Cote d’lvoire – Bouaké
You can confirm whether the imagery is new by clicking on the “View in Google Maps” icon in GE – the imagery in Google Maps isn’t showing the new data yet. If you find new areas not in my list above, please leave a comment and I’ll update the list.