New Imagery Update – July 27th

Google has released an image update. Instead of telling us where the new imagery is located, Google has posted a puzzle game on their blog with hints about the locations. I’m on my vacation, but just happened to be near a marina with WIFI so I’m typing up a quick note for you. I will give you a few tips sent to me by readers: Moscow has new imagery, all of Colorado has hi-res imagery. I’m also told that New Zealand has high resolution terrain – this is something I look forward to checking out! Also, GEC member ‘Dulce’ has a post on her Spanish GE blog with some of the answers to the new imagery.
Another very important part of the update (at least to me): The Virgin Islands – especially in the British Virgin Islands, now has some nice new high-resolution imagery. Since I’m sailing there right now, it’s very handy. More on this when I get back. Right now, I have to finish this cold smoothie I just got and get back on my chartered sailboat!

Comments

1. The Digital Earth Blog has all of the answers if anyone is interested:

2. Ray Burrows says:

Noted some new imagery for Ireland. Part Antrim Coast (Northern Ireland) and also Drogheda and greater Dublin area (Southern Ireland).

3. I checked in an area of Colorado (City of Broomfield) in an area where new developments have been going in and Google Maps’ imagery seems to be rather dated hi-res imagery. I have stuff from summer of 2006, and it has dramatically more homes on the imagery. The stuff on Google Maps is at least older than 2005, if not ’04 or ’03 for that area.

4. Awsome terrain update in New Zealand!
    moutains are mountains now!
    Too bad that the imagery STILL isn’t updated for Hamilton and Cambridge :(
    Still, an improvement.

5. Yeah! I’ve been waiting for this Colorado update for a while (after they added high-res imagery for all of Utah & Wyoming a few months ago)…
    The terrain data is higher resolution in Colorado now, too. This is great for planning hiking trips!

6. all of England except for the Isles of Scilly is in High Res too

7. Hey Frank, What sort of boat is it? I’ve got a 42ft Catamaran lying in Spain.

8. Ernst M. Kofler says:

Due to the update of Italy, southern parts of Austria were also updated with the .5m imagery. Affected are parts of the areas of Vorarlberg, Tirol, Kärnten, and Salzburg.

9. Check out the new high terrain resolution for Alaska too. STUPENDOUS!

10. Tybois Uphold says:

Still, sadly, most of Virginia and almost all of West Virginia is still without any form of resolution what-so-ever.
    Do anyone know what the hold up is on the east coast?
    Take Care,
    Tybois

11. Finally, Middle Earth has real mountains! Check out Milford Sound, Kaikoura, and Mt. Aoraki – a richly deserved update.

12. Question 4 about Warthogs ought to be easy for you to answer, Frank. And in an entirely related subject, imagery of Tucson has been updated. I’m trying to identify the car on our driveway next to the ol’ Ghia. The image was taken before our roof was replaced in early 2005, so the dark colored car doesn’t match our old Trooper that we would have had at the time. – Jim.

13. FlorentG says:

Strasbourg, France has been updated too :)

14. John Sapyta says:

I belive the state of AZ is updated as well, but I’n not really sure on how to check. I did how ever go to my location in Az, and it does look better and the imagery of my area has changed.

15. I checked 3 areas in the midwest and didn’t notice a change.

16. Here is the updated Google Earth sights (2007/07) : http://www.geo-trotter.com/cat-actualite.php

17. Timothy says:

Finally! Livingstone, Zambia is in High Res!

18. while i appreciate the updated high res mountain imagery, from a work standpoint, i need updated front range imagery…asap…thanks google
    lets see this explosion of development along the front range soon please

19. Some cities probably got reverted to older imagery. An example is Spokane, Washington, they had 2006 imagery, and now it’s 2005 imagery. I’m not too happy about that…

20. Following up on what Tybois Uphold about lack of imagery in the Northeast US,
    Add Pennsylvania to the list of states with ZERO imagery outside the major cities — heck, even the entire Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area is a blur!! :(
    Other than that though, this imagery update is fantastic. Thanks, Google.

21. Please add P.A. to the states to update. there is a population of over 77 thousand in Scranton and its not in High Definition.
    Besides that everything else is good