Google not only updated the Google Earth 4 beta this weekend, but just today released a huge imagery update. And guess what? Google Earth Blog now has its own aerial photos included within Google Earth. You’ll find a couple of aerial photos I took in a small plane during the X PRIZE Cup in October at the Las Cruces, New Mexico airport (read about the photo here). And also a couple of practice photos I took of the Sanford – Lee County airport in North Carolina (see here ). Even the copyright message says “Google Earth Blog”. Pretty neat!
In addition, Google added a 3 meter resolution terrain mesh for Mount Saint Helens (much higher than what you normally find – you should use the “Tools->Options->Terrain Quality” setting to adjust the quality).
Here’s the announcement at the GEC about the imagery update:
- DigitalGlobe updates all over the globe with the most notable being large content additions in Somalia and Australia
- Updated US states: Indiana and Delaware
- Miscellaneous high res cities and counties in North America: Monterey Bay, CA; Yakima County, WA; Summerland, Canada; Greater East Wenatchee, WA; Polk County, IA; Warren County IA; and Bay County, FL
- Small high-res updates in the UK (Swansea, Edinburgh, Doncaster, Gwent) and expanded London coverage
- High-res update in Bremerhaven, Germany.
- Newer imagery for Lanzarote (Canary Islands)
- Google Earth Blog-supplied XPrizeCup flyover and the Sanford, NC airport
- Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
- Foo Camp @ O’Reilly Headquarters in Sebastapol, CA