Got an E-mail from a GEB reader (Mike from Sydney, Australia) who said there is a new version of GE 4 available. I checked, and he’s right. The new version on the PC is 4.0.1657 – on the Mac is it 4.0.1658 – Linux version is 4.0.1660. If you do a “Check for Updates Online” it will NOT find this new version at the moment. But, if you download from the Google download site here you will get the new version. Here’s a summary of a few of the changes and fixes from the release notes:
- Language selection can now be done from the Options/Preferences under the “General” tab. Choices are English, Spanish, French, Italian, and German.
- You can now choose which way the mouse-wheel zooms under the “Navigation” tab in the options (hurray!)
- Improved memory management, does not require as much memory
- Automatic setting of memory cache based on machine RAM (improves performance)
- Fix to a problem where search/layer/places panes were missing if you had them turned off in GE 3 (I had that problem with my Mac version)
You can see the full list if you select the “Release Notes” option under the “Help” menu after you install the new version. There are several other critical fixes and a few other features added. The release notes on the web site haven’t been updated yet. For those who didn’t know, there are also GE 4 Plus and Pro (beta) versions for the Mac now (but, not Linux yet). Thanks for the tip Mike!
[10-July: Here’s the official Google announcement on the new beta.]