Google Jupiter

On 27-March-2006 NASA released some new photos of Jupiter from the Cassini mission. Included is a cylindrical map of the entire atmosphere of Jupiter. I’ve created an image overlay for Google Earth so you can view the picture as a 3D globe instead of a boring flat map. Turn off any extra layers or placemarks first. Also, make sure you turn off “Atmosphere” in “Tools->Options” so you don’t see the Earth’s atmosphere around Jupiter (that looks a little weird). Then, go ahead and load Jupiter .
By the way, there is a great free program for viewing space-related sites called Celestia. I’m sure it won’t be long before someone takes this new photo and makes it available to Celestia as well (although that program already has an excellent photomap of Jupiter).
Related: Check out this new Jupiter – Clouds in Motion story.

Comments

1. This is a great idea because only the google earth server is an exciting interactive program, so why not continue it with other planets?. the most of the people would like the continue of the developing of this program and the grown of the features that it gives.

2. Dave Trott says:

Thanks for posting this, Frank. It’s a wonderful tool for teaching astronomy!

3. William Robert says:

awesome

4. gogle earth.It is the most wonderful photograph took by the satellites.the most exciting topic i.e we can see any place in earth in any angle.
    but I hope that you will develop every small village in every backward place.

5. Francis Wilkin says:

Hi,
    It’s nice to be able to view Jupiter like the Earth but I can’t remove the overlay that traces Earth’s political boundaries…they overlay Jupiter.
    Any solution?
    Thanks!

6. Hi there
    you know Google earth don’t you.well i was wondering if you could get a Google Saturn? like Google earth but Saturn instead
    thanks

7. Thanks. At first I forgot to switch off the political boundaries. Hard to believe all the continents could show up on Jupiter. That was kinda weird.

8. jason valentine says:

i used the jupiter program for google earth and i cant turn it back to earth…lol… its a little annoying please help

9. Yes that will be very interesting if there was to be an google jupiter. infact i think there should me made for other planets aswell!

10. this is neat

11. Ok Frank..Nice thing but i will be wery grateful if you show us how to back this thing in normaly earth wiew..

12. I love loking at the planet jupiter, it makes me so happy!

13. charlie arnold says:

I thought that google 4.2 was good looking at nebulas an stuff like that but now planets and moons it’s so good

14. how can I download “Google Jupiter”?

15. I think that the solar system is awesome. I think it should be more colorful though. all the planets are not colorful, just plain plain plain. Anyways, good sighnt………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………- Thanks, Ive always wanted to be on the internet, or on a sight, Jacklyn.

16. I cannot get back to earth …jupiter won’t go away
    can’t google earth anymore…tried disinstall and re-install..always jupiter returns, curses…

17. Hello,
    can you make a google… of every planet?

18. The atmosphere option in the latest relese of GE (4.3) actually makes jupiter look more realistic. The blue haze you see on the edges of the planets is there on all planets with atmospheres. BTW I don’t suggest Google make a jupiter release of GE because it would be very hard because the atmosphere and cloud patterns (which are basically everything visible) are constantly changing.

19. dont they already have google earth, google mars, and google moon (our moon) and google does do other spacey stuff up sure there was an option the flip the camera so its posistioned on earth looking out into never never land.

20. THIS IS TOTALLY AWESOME AND I AM 11

21. i think flying over the great red spot is cool.

22. i found the awnser to being stuck on juipter just dlete the juipter layer.:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

23. Avinash Kissoon says:

I do not know anything about this

24. kisitu joseph says:

i wish we get a true google sun

25. google uranus?