[EDITED: 30-Mar 2006 at 07:00 EST] It’s now official! Google released new satellite/aerial photo data for Google Earth on 23-Mar-2006. Here’s a summary of the updates found so far:
30-Mar – More data was updated than previously thought Thanks to the efforts of ‘Cyclonic’ at the Google Earth Community, who is maintaining the database of all planes found in flight, numerous other locations updated in the 23-Mar update have been found. Places where planes were previously found were missing, which indicated the change in data. Most of the changes were small alterations to areas already in high-resolution, some cities are new though. Here’s the list from ‘Cyclonic’s post:
- Tempe, AZ
- Phoenix, AZ
- Sedona, AZ
- Watsonville, CA
- Byron, CA
- Venice, FL
- St Cloud, FL
- E of Pittsburgh, PA
- S of Boulder City, CO
- Indianapolis, IN
- Montreal, CAN
- Toronto, CAN
- Gifu Airport, Japan
- Mountain Home AFB, ID
- Philadelphia, PA
- S of Hyderabad, India
- Damascus, Syria
- Bangkok, Thailand
- Oson, SKorea
- Incheon, SKorea
- Many African Capitals
Here’s list of known updates shortly after the announcement:
- This new data is not in Google Local/Maps yet. – But, Google says it will be later.
- The basemap for the whole Earth has been changed to another source called TrueEarth. This new data looks better than the old one. Look at all the continents more closely. The colors are much more vibrant and green. (Read one of the comments below which explains more about the TrueEarth data)
- Most of Germany is now in high resolution
- Some minor fixes to old data
- It also appears many Tropical Islands are in higher resolution than before, this includes French Polynesia, some in the Caribbean and the Azores.
- Even many of the Atolls in the Pacific Islands around French Polynesia are much sharper.
- The beautiful shallow turquoise waters around the Bahamas have been put back
- More of the islands in the Caribbean are in higher resolution (previously just fuzzy blotches) – e.g. some of the Grenadines.
- New high resolution photos for parts of the Maldives Island group. I found this cool seaplane flying there. Here’s a blog entry about the new Maldives photos.
- I’m getting reports of other random changes. For example the photo in Taiwan of the Taipei 101 tower shows it under construction now, whereas before it was finished (so an older photo now). Check out the 3D model of Taipei Tower if you want to really see it finished.
Here’s the official announcement from Google (which doesn’t include all the details above).
Check out the Sightseeing, 3D Models, and Flying categories for places to see in Google Earth.
Thanks for visiting Google Earth Blog – stories on the best things being done with Google Earth and the latest news are reported daily. Here’s an RSS Feed.