One thing you can expect to see a lot more of, now that Google purchased SketchUp (a popular 3D modeling package which will probably become the most popular in the world now), is a surge in the number of 3D models in Google Earth. If Google will release a new version of GE that supports texture mapping (which allows you to put photo textures onto sides of 3D models), you would have even more realistic looking models. Maybe the next release will have this. Anyway, here’s a list of just a few of the best new 3D models for GE published in the last week:
- Mikimoto Store in Tokyo, Japan – This unique building (shown in the picture above) was modeled by ‘pivnice’ and published at his blog ZNO – I call it the Swiss Cheese building 🙂
- Glen Canyon Dam, Arizona – Excellent model! Posted by ‘jpwade’, it really fits in well with the 3D terrain.
- Casa Malaparte in Capri, Italy – sometimes known as the most beautiful house in the world. Posted by ‘pivnice’.
- Blender Gets in Way – Stefan Geens at OgleEarth decides to play with SketchUp – see his post. for why this is funny.
- Aurland Lookout – ‘pivnice’ again, a unique bridge structure in the fjords of Norway
For all the 3D models blogged here, read the 3D Models Category.